Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Santa's Best Toys

No denying it anymore, we are rushing headlong into the holiday shopping season.

Oh yes, I can see you Early Bird Shoppers out there, smugly tossing your heads about as you flippantly declare that you took care of your shopping months ago when you were vacationing in the Hamptons, but I haven't been on vacation yet this year (or last, for that matter), so I just have not yet made my contribution to help Santa in his annual undertaking.

In the event there are others out there like me, who have yet to even think about gift giving, I present for your perusal a virtual toy shop that features playthings which have stood the test of time: the National Toy Hall of Fame. Now, this is not a commercial site; you can't buy anything from them. But how nice to be reminded that special, meaningful toys do not have to blink, beep, flash, or run on a game console to be dear to one's heart. Checkers, Play-Doh, Jump Ropes, Lincoln Logs...they're all there, with a brief bio on each to remind you why they deserve their rightful place in the Hall of Fame.

Links to this site have been floating around the net in recent months, so I am risking redundancy posting it here. But, aw, gee, it's a great starting place when considering what might delight the little boys and girls in your life. Not to mention the warm happy feeling you'll get when cruising through the memory lane of toys you likely had growing up. Have fun, and play nice.

5 Comments:

At November 2, 2004 at 6:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Holiday season is nice from the shopper's perspective, but pure hell from the retail employee's perspective. I worked in the mall last year as a seasonal employee, and I hated it. They were playing Christmas music in the beginning of October, and it just didn't fit right. Since I've graduated I've been looking for a job, but I refuse to work retail as a seasonal person again... no thank you.

Anyway, thanks for visiting my blog. Come back anytime!

MattFrom Blog Explosion

 
At November 2, 2004 at 8:51 AM, Blogger fhovie said...

Not on topic but - Love the horoscope thingy
What is a SHAM?
Can we give spiritual gifts for a spiritual holiday? - would they count?

 
At November 2, 2004 at 10:11 AM, Blogger Mellie Helen said...

Huh-hyuck. Glad you enjoyed the "horoscope" link. You're the first to comment on it.

"SAHM" (not "SHAM") stands for Stay At Home Mom, an acronym you'll find bandied about liberally on the net and elsewhere. Although I suppose that "SHAM" would sometimes be appropriate...

Spiritual gifts for a spiritual holiday...yes, I think God would approve. But man, just try to find wrapping paper for those.

 
At November 2, 2004 at 9:52 PM, Blogger ~*Kris*~ said...

Well.. I haven't done my shopping yet...but...then again...I generally don't really GO shopping for Christmas presents. My husband and I use our talents to create personalized gifts for our friends and family. It cuts costs a LOT...and...it's a lot more heartfelt when your sister in law opens up a hand drawn portrait of her son...thank a pair of isotoner slippers.

That's the way I see it anyway. BTW.. VERY cool site..and... thanks for visiting my blog!

 
At November 2, 2004 at 11:27 PM, Blogger Carmi said...

What a lovely post! It saddens me to see how toys today have evolved. They much be electronic, they must be made of plastic, and they must be eminently forgettable.

My childhood barber used to hand-carve wooden toys when things got slow in his shop. Then he'd put them inside the front window. I can still remember how they felt when I played with them, and how warm his shop looked when my Mom would take me there on a snowy winter's day. I always knew there'd be some new, colorful creation that he had made with his own two hands.

That kind of thing just doesn't happen any more. It's sad to think what we've lost in the interim.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home