Thursday, November 11, 2004

Twiddling Thumbs and Musak

Today was the day of The Doctor Visit. For the Thing. Well, turns out, there are four Things. Good, because you never know when you'll need a spare Thing. The clock is now ticking while the insurance approves/lays down bets/guesses at whim the next steps to take and whether it's worthy of their coverage. So I'll just be twiddling my thumbs and losing sleep 'til they decide to get back to me.

Incidentally, did you know that the traditional method of clasping hands with fingers intertwined and thumbs rotating about themselves is the sign for "Quaker" in American Sign Language? (See? This is an educational blog.)

Whenever I go to the doctor, I always feel like a car getting a maintenance check...or a long deferred overhaul. Particularly noteworthy are the times I'm at an OB/GYN visit -- "Okay, ma'am, let's just have a look under the hood..."

My mom has told and retold her story of visiting her GYN many years ago. This was back when every doctor's office played Musak in the rooms. The story goes that the doc was just getting to his business, when out of the Musak speakers comes the song, "I'll Be Seeing You In All The Old Familiar Places."

Still cracks me up. Good, because today...I need a laugh.

8 Comments:

At November 11, 2004 at 9:26 PM, Blogger SilverBubble said...

The things aren't life-threatening, are they??

 
At November 12, 2004 at 4:44 AM, Blogger Meg said...

I have no idea what the Things are, but, good luck.

 
At November 12, 2004 at 4:59 AM, Blogger Laura Alden said...

Hehehehe... I love your blog!! Thanks for brightening up my day!! (Please don't stop writing!)

 
At November 12, 2004 at 4:59 AM, Blogger Laura Alden said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At November 12, 2004 at 8:43 AM, Blogger Ann D said...

That is a very funny story! LOL!

Ann
http://anndouglas.blogspot.com

 
At November 12, 2004 at 8:49 AM, Blogger Mellie Helen said...

"Oh, MY, what did Laura say that was so objectionable that it had to be removed?!?" No, no, it wasn't her; that was your friendly Hostess in action. Laura didn't say anything that required me to remove her comment; her comment simply posted twice, and I tried to remove one of them. So, now it just looks suspicious. There's probably some way to remove the whole thing without indicting the commenter, but Blogger Help is keeping that a secret from me.

As to the Things...when I know more, I'll let y'all know. Until then, we'll just press on here as normal. Whatever that is.

 
At November 12, 2004 at 9:28 AM, Blogger Moogie said...

Good luck on the "thing" problem. I'll continue to keep you in my prayers.

As far as removing the whole comment..not such luck. I just wrote blogger help about a week ago and they said they don't have provisions for that yet.

 
At November 12, 2004 at 10:36 AM, Blogger Carmi said...

Thanks for the much-needed laugh. I'll never look at the Doc's office the same way again!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home