Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Wax On, Wax Off...Wax In, Wax Out

Shower time this morning: we performed our hygiene ritual with the usual procedures, which included using Q-Tips to gently clean the ears (I know, "Never stick anything smaller than your elbow in your ear", but you have not met the Wax Producing Machine that is my dear little Rainbow. How such a delicate flower as she can create such massive gobs of this putrefied stuff never ceases to amaze me).

We moved on to the kids-getting-dried-off-and-dressed event, which included Astro's modeling of his new Loony Tunes underwear. So stylish.

During this portion of the morning exercises, the Astronaut-in-Training spied a large appliance that's been sitting on my bathroom counter for years. Suddenly, he took a great interest in it, asking what the "space-ship shaped thing" was and how it worked. I explained to him that it's a parrafin dip for Mommy's hands, and explained how it's used and that it gives Mommy nice, smooth hands. (And as I was describing this, I was trying to remember the last time I'd actually used it. When did I stop using it? Note to self: start melting the wax tonight. I want nice, smooth hands again.)

Well of course, this sounded too amazing to Astro. He just had to get a better look at it. Now, this device was purchased back when these were the New Thing On The Market, so it's roughly the size of an actual bread box (if anybody out there even remembers those), and cost about $150 at the time. It's oval and has lights and dials and looks almost like it could indeed be a UFO. I removed the lid and lifted him up to peer in and see the solid wax, and again explained that that big chunk would melt down to a very warm liquid, and only Mommy puts her hands in it. He was amazed by it all, and just had to run downstairs to tell Daddy about the cool thing Mommy has.

A few minutes later, I hear Merlin and Astro ascending the stairs. Merlin obviously didn't know what Astro was describing, but due to his son's exuberance, he came up to see what all the fuss was about. They enter the room, Astro's little boy voice exitedly shaking with delight, his arm sticking straight out, pointing to the miracle device.

"Daddy! There it is! That's what I toldjya! It's THAT thing!!"

"Oh? And what does it do?," queried the Daddy.

"It's a machine for melting ear wax! And Mommy sticks her hands in it!"

(Note to self: do NOT melt the wax tonight.)


2 Comments:

At November 2, 2004 at 11:58 PM, Blogger Amelia said...

I love a child's view on thing! That is adorable :)

By the way, thanks for popping by my site.

 
At November 3, 2004 at 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL. That's a great depiction of the childhood perspective. (Blogger isn't letting me log in, but I'm a fellow blogspot-user. Ariel)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home